Stills from Adam 2, a feature-length animated film by Jan Lenica, master Polish animator and graphic designer. As far as I know this is currently unavailable and I can’t manage to find a copy floating around the internet. It looks absolutely stunning, a tantalising glimpse of his wonderful graphics come to life. His other short films are well worth tracking down, Dom, his collaboration with Walerian Borowczyk and Labirynt are both available on the Anthology of Polish Animated Film DVD. Also Rhinoceros from 1965 is currently on Vimeo.
Honoré Daumier, The Crinoline in Winter, 1858
Honoré Daumier - Two Drinkers. N.d., between 1860 and 1864
Koloman Moser, Self-Portrait, 1916
Charles Laughton as Quasimodo in The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939, dir. William Dieterle) (via)
“Why was I not made of stone, like thee?”
Almada Negreiros (2)
1. Almada pintor pousa ao lado de um de seus trabalhos, anos 30
2. Sarah Affonso e Almada, Quinta de Bicesse, final dos anos 40
3. Almada o pintor em exercício durante a pintura da Gare Marítima de Alcântara, Lisboa, 1919
4. Almada e a neta - ao fundo uma de suas telas, 1969
5, 6 e 7. Facsímile do texto “Confidências”, publicado em 1921.
Saint José de Anchieta, SJ (1534-1597)
- Candido Portinari, Brazil (1903-1962)
He was a writer of music and a dramatist, teaching Christianity to the local people through music and theatre. He wrote a famous poem to the Virgin Mary, allegedly writing it every morning on the wet sand of a beach at Iperoig and committing it to memory until he could much later transcribe its more than 4,900 verses to paper. Because of all this, Saint Anchieta is the patron of literature and music in Brazil.
- ¿Quién te visitó, Isabel?: http://youtu.be/MU6O_JtZYrw
- Mira Nero! http://youtu.be/rBLAPQD8EGU
- A la villa voy: http://youtu.be/IIyb4CsjDxk
- Ave Maria Tupi: http://youtu.be/npbCGdNaVJQ
Almada Negreiros - Auto-retrato com o grupo da Brasileira(1925)
“José Sobral de Almada Negreiros was a Portuguese artist. Almada Negreiros always called himself a futurist artist, inspired by Filippo Tommaso Marinetti and other modern artists, however his style is wider, and its hardly defined into a category. Adding to this modern approach his works also reveals a decorative and arabesque richness and sometimes a geometrical abstraction.”
Jeune fille au chat, 1891 Edouard Vuillard
Edouard Vuillard - Marie Vuillard Writing
Madame Vuillard at Her Sewing Maching